Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Wednesday Hodgepodge

From this Side of the Pond
1. Hey, it's October...what's one fun thing on your October calendar? 

A few things are on my calendar....attending a wedding, wine festival, and a fall festival.

2. Thursday is National Poetry Day (first Thursday in October)...do you like to read poetry? If so, what's a favorite poem, or whose poetry do you especially enjoy? 6

Yes, I like to read poetry.  I enjoy Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and my favorite poem is " A Psalm of Life'.   I can relate to this poem because life is real (not a dream), live in the present (not so much the past or future), life is precious do not waste it, and strive to leave a positive impact on the world. 

3. Tell us about something you've seen recently that could be described as 'poetry in motion'

A few weeks ago, I went to a high school football game.  The quarterback threw and the ball and the receiver caught the ball. It was definitely 'poetry in motion.'  After the game, I told the receiver he should insure his hands like Tina Turner insured her legs.  He had no idea who I was talking about. lol

4. What's one song on your autumn playlist? Do you have an autumn playlist? If not, pretend you do. If yes, then feel free to share more than one. 

"October Road" by James Taylor and "Harvest Moon" by Neil Young.  AND who can forget "September" by Earth, Wind, and Fire.


5.Share a quote that inspires you this time of year especially. 

"Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree". by Emily Bronte

6.Insert your random thought.

This past weekend was our Apple Festival.  AND the hurricane came!! I had friends coming in Friday for the festival activities.  For the FIRST time in 70 years, the parade and band competitions were cancelled.  Out of 83 vendors, 60 cancelled.  My friends and I did go to the festival and to listen to the band, Phatom later that Saturday evening.  Many people complained that the festival was still happening, BUT there were others who were so glad that the festival continued; they were able to grab a bite to eat and just get out of the house.

My friends made it back home safely on Sunday.

But on my the devastation my community has endured.  Many places are completely wiped away. Schools have been closed.  My church has welcomed people to come and take a shower and get a hot meal.  On Monday, before 3pm over 40 people had come in for showers!  On Tuesday, I went to school to help serve hot meals to residents that could get out.  We served breakfast and dinner. We also offered to wash clothes for people who were desperately in need for clean clothes and we opened up the Panther Parlor for the ones who needed some toiletries and clothes. Many people are still without electricity and water.  Some of my friends still can't believe I choose to live here.  It is a small, rural area, BUT in times like this, I am so grateful.  People pull together to help each person. I have seen people use their own chainsaws to help cut down trees, travel to Bluefield, West Virginia to get water (water is very scarce here).  Roads are completely washed away in a lot of areas and bridges are completely gone.

During this, I never lost electricity or water.  I thank God daily for this.  FEMA is here and helping out. Please continue to pray .

Have a great rest of the week and Enjoy Life


3 comments:

  1. Oh my, so good to read how you and the church have been able to help where help is desperately needed and in such practical ways. I was thinking about the fact that people could come to church for showers and realized our church does not have showers. Does your church have a school connected to it? I'm sure there are many grateful people for your help and the help of your community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're in a hard hit area too. And Asheville : ( It's heartbreaking. I don't feel like it's getting the media coverage it should. We got home today and have spent it emptying freezers and the frig, and picking up debris in the yard. There's a lot of it, but no big trees fell on our property which we're thankful for. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you are ok. We've been watching on the news and the pictures of the devastation are so shocking.

    ReplyDelete

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. Thursday is National Walk To A Park Day. I know these celebratory days are mostly made up, but some are fun to think about. Do you live c...