1. This week's Hodgepodge lands on Ash Wednesday which signals the beginning of Lent. Do you mark this season in some way? If so tell us more. Did you grow up 'celebrating' Lent? Is attending church part of your weekly routine? Are churches open for in-person worship where you live?
I did not grow up celebrating 'Lent'. In years past, I have participated in Lent. Celebrating Lent is a personal thing. It is your relationship with Jesus Christ and the sacrifice he made for all of us. I plan on giving up on NEGATIVITY...thoughts, gossip, etc. during Lent.
My church is open every Sunday (masks aren't required but highly suggested, six feet apart, families sitting together, no communion or offering is passed around). My church also has a live stream for those who are unable to attend in person. We have not started in person on Wednesday evenings...again only live stream for this, but I have heard Wednesday evening services are planning to open up in March.
Most churches are open in my community.
2. When is the last time you sat beside a 'real' fire? Do you have a fireplace in your home? Wood or gas logs? Favorite thing cooked over a fire?
Sitting outside by an ACTUAL fire would be about 5 years ago. Where I use to live there was a built in fireplace outside. History was told to me that the lady who lived there before us would do her canning outside using this fireplace. When the evenings would turn cool, hub and I would sit out back, build a fire, and just enjoy each other's company...many world problems were solved around that fire!
I have gas logs in my home.
Favorite food cooked over a fire would be hot dogs and S'mores
When hub and I moved to where I am living now, we purchased a fire pit. Now, that is just me, I gave the fire pit away.
3. Something that's currently got you fired up?
When a person sacrifices his child for HIS own happiness. Whisper a special prayer for this child.
4. February also happens to be National Cabbage Day. Who knew? Do you like cabbage? Is cabbage on your menu Wednesday? Of the following cabbage dishes which is your favorite-coleslaw (mayo or vinegar?), sauerkraut, cabbage rolls, cabbage soup, kielbasa and cabbage, grilled cabbage, bubble and squeak, kimchi, or haluski?
I do, like cabbage and will not be on my menu tonight. Favorite dish kielbasa and cabbage.
5. Do you hang on to pennies? What do you do with them? Last thing you purchased for $1.00? Last thing you purchased for $5.00?
Don't hang on to pennies (will pick one up if I see it on the ground). I do have a coin jar I toss my coins in when the change area in my billfold is bulging. Saturday I went to McDonald's to get me a Coke for $1.04. I have quit drinking/buying soda and my head was exploding (side effect of vaccine). I honestly thought the Coke would help my head ache because the coffee was making me nauseous but nothing helped this type of headache. For $4.09 I splurged on a 6 inch Black Forest Sub from Subway.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
Vaccine update...I survived. The second dose was given on February 11th to teachers. I had a headache that was awful! It lasted for a little over 24 hours. Many teachers had body aches. I was asked if my body ached, I responded that my head hurt so bad I couldn't tell if any other parts of my body hurt or not.
Praying for all those who have no electricity due to the ice storms. My assistant minister's daughter is in Kentucky and has been without power for a couple of days...many prayers for all.
Everyone stay safe AND Enjoy Life