Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Wednesday Hodgepodge


Thanks Joyce!  



 1. This week's Hodgepodge lands on Ash Wednesday which signals the beginning of Lent. Do you mark this season in some way? If so tell us more. Did you grow up 'celebrating' Lent? Is attending church part of your weekly routine? Are churches open for in-person worship where you live? 

I did not grow up celebrating 'Lent'.  In years past, I have participated in Lent. Celebrating Lent is a personal thing.  It is your relationship with Jesus Christ and the sacrifice he made for all of us.  I plan on giving up on NEGATIVITY...thoughts, gossip, etc. during Lent.
My church is open every Sunday (masks aren't required but highly suggested, six feet apart, families sitting together, no communion or offering is passed around).  My church also has a live stream for those who are unable to attend in person.  We have not started in person on Wednesday evenings...again only live stream for this, but I have heard Wednesday evening services are planning to open up in March. 
Most churches are open in my community.


2. When is the last time you sat beside a 'real' fire? Do you have a fireplace in your home? Wood or gas logs? Favorite thing cooked over a fire? 

Sitting outside by an ACTUAL fire would be about 5 years ago.  Where I use to live there was a built in fireplace outside.  History was told to me that the lady who lived there before us would do her canning outside using this fireplace.  When the evenings would turn cool, hub and I would sit out back, build a fire, and just enjoy each other's company...many world problems were solved around that fire!
I have gas logs in my home.
Favorite food cooked over a fire would be hot dogs and S'mores
When hub and I moved to where I am living now, we purchased a fire pit.  Now, that is just me, I gave the fire pit away.

3. Something that's currently got you fired up? 

When a person sacrifices his child for HIS own happiness.  Whisper a special prayer for this child.



4. February also happens to be National Cabbage Day. Who knew? Do you like cabbage? Is cabbage on your menu Wednesday? Of the following cabbage dishes which is your favorite-coleslaw (mayo or vinegar?), sauerkraut, cabbage rolls, cabbage soup, kielbasa and cabbage, grilled cabbage, bubble and squeak, kimchi, or haluski? 

I do, like cabbage and will not be on my menu tonight.  Favorite dish kielbasa and cabbage.

5. Do you hang on to pennies? What do you do with them? Last thing you purchased for $1.00? Last thing you purchased for $5.00? 

Don't hang on to pennies (will pick one  up if I see it on the ground).  I do have a coin jar I toss my coins in when the change area in my billfold is bulging.  Saturday I went to McDonald's to get me a Coke for $1.04.  I have quit drinking/buying soda and my head was exploding (side effect of vaccine).  I honestly thought the Coke would help my head ache because the coffee was making me nauseous but nothing helped this type of headache.  For $4.09 I splurged on a 6 inch Black Forest Sub from Subway.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Vaccine update...I survived.  The second dose was given on February 11th to teachers.  I had a headache that was awful!  It lasted for a little over 24 hours. Many teachers had body aches.  I was asked if my body ached, I responded that my head hurt so bad I couldn't tell if any other parts of my body hurt or not. 

Praying for all those who have no electricity due to the ice storms.  My assistant minister's daughter is in Kentucky and has been without power for a couple of days...many prayers for all.

Everyone stay safe AND Enjoy Life

6 comments:

  1. Which vaccine did you get? Interesting the varying reactions. My 90 year old mom finally gets her first dose today in NJ. I am praying she doesn't feel any side effects. Hubs mom breezed through both doses with not a single complaint. Hope you have a great day! I will add this little guy to my prayers today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know if the vaccine has to be repeated sometime down the line or is this all you need, supposedly? I keep thinking if the Covid is spin-off of the cold/flu then doesn't this mean you'd have to be vaccinate yearly but what do I know? lol I stay home and I consider myself at low risk so I have no immediate need to get the vaccine. I'm glad you survived it, though. Saying prayers for your assistant minister's daughter in Kentucky. This is a terrible time to be without power. I hope they have a fireplace or wood stove for heat. We don't have either but our next place will have a good alternate heat source. There have been a few occasions over the years in the winter where we've been with out electricity for several hours. That's not comfortable so I can only imagine what it's like to go for days without power. Have a good week!

    Curious as a Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hearing several people talking about the headache with the 2nd shot. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby had a bad headache after his 2nd vaccine also and fever and chills. I get mine on Friday and pray that I have no ill effects. It seems to differ from person to person. Blessings abundant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your answer to #5 reminded me of the saying "See a penny, pick it up. All day long, you'll have good luck!"

    ReplyDelete

A-Z Challenge....Letter U

  U Unicorns When my daughters were younger, they loved unicorns.  Personally, I was fascinated by their colors. The other day, I saw a few ...