Friday, April 26, 2024

A-Z Challenge...letter W

 






W

Watermelon



When I was in middle school, we have moved back to Saltville.  My dad bought a farm.  We didn't live on the farm he purchased; it was about 30 minutes from our house.  We had cattle and raised tobacco. 

Watermelon makes me smile!  I remember in the hottest part of summer it was hay bailing time.  One had to wear long sleeves and pants or the hay would scratch you all to pieces.  A hard lesson I learned.  My grandfather would drive the tractor, and I was one of a few who would lift the hay bales up on the tractor to the people who were stacking them.  Then came the unloading part; putting the hay bales in the barn. Gosh, sweat would be dripping off of us.

After we finished bailing hay, my grandmother had us ice cold watermelon.  We would sit on the porch eating the slices of watermelon as the juice was dripping off our chins!  It was sooo good and refreshing. The watermelon would cool us off and where we were so sweaty, I would start chilling! 

Oh those hot summer hay bailing days with cold, juicy watermelon, was the best!

During the summer, I have to always purchase a couple (more than a couple, I imagine) of watermelon and eating the watermelon brings a smile to my face.

Pass the salt, please!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wednesday Hodgepodge

  1. Did you watch the Kentucky Derby this past weekend? Have you ever been to a horse race? Ever ridden a horse? Did you enjoy it? Have you...