Sunday, May 1, 2011

I will Praise You in the Storm

How can I help those who need it the most?  This was the question that I pondered last night.  After the tornado hit, which is very, very rare in our area-so rare the last time something like this happened was in 1929 or so the newscaster reports. 

As I was getting ready for church, I suddenly thought of my grandson (2yr.old) and said do the little ones have the necessities-diapers, wipes, formulas, etc.  I knew the Red Cross was bringing food-but what about the little ones? 

I bet you guessed it--After church (which was an amazing service) I went to Wal-Mart and purchased diapers and wipes.  My daughters , 2 yr. old grandson and I headed down the interstate toward the college and kept saying on my look how slow the northbound lane is going-at least 10-15 miles backed up.  I said don't worry Mom knows the back roads and no big deal.  We went inside the college and found out we needed to go in the opposite direction.  Again, don't worry Mom can get us there.  I obtained a permit to go the back roads-which was I thought no big deal.  I had seen the destruction from the interstate-so we can make it.  Traveling down the back roads, not only did I see the destruction of buildings, homes, but PEOPLE!!  Oh my I didn't expect this.  Such sadness, and yet some were laughing-from tiredness I don't know.  But I also saw college students (yep exam week this week) and they were sawing down tree limbs, picking up debris, hugging people, hauling out furniture, putting on roofs-etc. my youngest daughter replied-they have exams and look-and I replied back--"Yep-Please Look."  Such amazing people-who says young people aren't compassionate these days.  It would only take a few people to see this and Wow-you would change your mind.


We made it to our destination and the volunteers,who were working,were thrilled with our items.  Of course I make my 2 yr. old help-he could carry in baby toothbrushes!!!  It is never too early to learn-to help people in times of devastation.

I know what I did was only a drop in a bucket-but I feel better about trying to help.

So on our way back home-questions were firing at me from daughters-Why did this happen?  How did the tornado miss us? How long will it take the people to get their life back?  Questions that went through my mind and I have no answer. 

The tornado came like a thief in the night just like God said he would.  With lives lost, I hope and pray all was ready to meet Christ.

I leave you with this thought:
We have no right to ask when sorrow comes, "Why did this happen to me?" unless we ask the same question for every moment of happiness that comes our way. ~Author Unknown

Enjoy your Monday and life!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wednesday Hodgepodge

  1.What do you love about your life right now?  I thank God everyday for giving me a new day.  I love spending time with my grandsons; ther...