Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Wednesday Hodgepodge



TheFrom this Side of the Pond

1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen). Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2024-

hack, impact, at the end of the day, rizz, slay, iconic, cringe worthy, obsessed, side hustle, wait for it

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Are any of these a regular part of your speech? Is there a word not on the list that you'd like to add? 

The phrase I would like to see banished is 'wait for it'.   

I do use the word 'obsessed' quite often and I am really not that obsessed over it.

2. What do you wish you'd done more of last year? Less of? 

Set boundaries.  I don't want to sound like a push-over, but I was kinda this last year.  I am  very accommodating, but I don't need to go to the extreme and be miserable.

I wish I would have done less of  night time eating!!

3. A place you'd like to visit in this new year? Do you think you will? 

Technically, not a place BUT my friends and I are thinking about taking a cruise this year.  I have never been on a cruise before so hoping this will happen.

4.What are three words to sum up or describe your 2023? 

An interesting year!


5. What advice would you like to give yourself as we begin a new year? 

To stay true to your 2024 word!

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Enjoyed spending the New Year with some friends.
Wishing All a Blessed, Happy New Year!

8 comments:

  1. Setting boundaries ... great goal and word for the year. Just thinking back over my own hodgepodge answers and I don't think I answered the part about which of those potentially banned words I may use often. Guess I'd better go back and edit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were talking about cruises the other day and I want to do one just because I never have but when I really think about it, I think I might hate the entire concept!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a cruise person mainly because I struggle with motion sickness. People who love them seem to really love them though. Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you will be able to take a cruise. I've been on 2 but that was over 30 years ago. Totally loved it then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It can be hard to set boundaries. I had to set one last year that was very difficult but I did it! We, too, are planning a cruise this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boundaries are good. Oye, what is it about eating into the night?? Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to go on a cruise - haven't ever done it before! Setting boundaries can be such a good thing - praying you're successful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Better late than never getting to commenting. A cruise would be fun. I enjoyed your answers. I liked your set boundaries!

    ReplyDelete

Wednesday Hodgepodge

  1. Did you watch the Kentucky Derby this past weekend? Have you ever been to a horse race? Ever ridden a horse? Did you enjoy it? Have you...