Ringing in the New Year with the Wednesday Hodgepodge
1. Are you ready for new? Is 2016 likely to be very different than 2015? Do you want it to be?
I am ready for the new..different probably with each new year there is usually something new happening.
2. January 6th is National Technology Day. Currently, what is your single biggest struggle or frustration when it comes to technology?
3. It's that time again...time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words (or phrases) they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, and general uselessness) in 2016. You can read more about the decision making process here, but this year's top vote getters are-
So (at the start of every single sentence), conversation (as in hotly debated topics where we're invited to 'join the conversation'), problematic, stakeholder, price point, secret sauce, break the Internet, walk it back, presser, manspreading (common in larger cities where some men take up the entire bus or train seat by sitting wide), vape, giving me life (refers to anything that may excite a person or make them laugh), and physicality
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
I would like to see 'so' banished from the beginning of sentences...it use to be the word 'so like' and now it is shortened to 'so'. The word 'problematic' is over used. Interesting, but in my little world, I haven't heard anyone say 'walk it back' or 'vape'.
I plan (key word plan) on getting up around 5:30 and walking...inside of course. Our church has a huge gym and our preacher walks every morning. I plan on starting to do this. I have been walking and some jogging in the afternoons but this really pushes me-too much going on in the evenings to try and get my walking in. My preacher said he unlocks the church around 5;30 and he and his daughter walk. I might join them.
5. Let's talk fifty shades of gray. As in the color. Gray is currently a popular color in home decor, paint, wardrobes, hair, wedding party attire, and more. Are you a fan? Do you have the color in some variation in your home or wardrobe? Gray hair, the old gray mare, gray matter, gray area...which gray idiom can you most relate to right now?
I do like gray but do not have any home decor in this color. I do owe a pair of gray dress slacks and a gray skirt.
I mostly relate to gray hair--been coloring my hair now for a couple of years. I can also relate to the old gray mare ain't what she use to be haha! Usually I stay awake till 12 but here lately in bed by 11--but then I am wide awake by 5!! Some days after keeping up with grandson I definitely know why one should have kids early in life--the old gray mare ain't what she use to be!
6. Certain foods are considered 'lucky' if eaten on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. Cooked greens to bring economic fortune, black-eyed peas or lentils also symbolize money, pork which symbolizes progress, fish for good luck, and if you're in Spain 12 grapes at the stroke of midnight. Did you eat any lucky foods on the first day of the year? Is that a tradition in your home? Of the foods listed, which most appeals to you?
Tradition I have kept up is having boiled cabbage (for good luck), greens, and cornbread (for wealth).
I did not know that pork or fish symbolized progress or good luck; will add these to my menu next year.
7. What's the single biggest time waster in your life and what, if anything, will you do about it this year?
Checking facebook. I feel like if I don't check facebook 4-5 times a day I am out of the loop or just sitting around trying to think of something to do.
I will try to refrain from checking facebook often
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Enjoyed our little get-a-way....
Youngest daughter got hub and I a blanket of favorite wedding pictures. I have tried to capture some of them..
I do believe hub was wiping a tear away.