Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Wednesday Hodgepodge

 



From this Side of the Pond

1. The Hodgepodge lands on National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. Have you visited the memorial? Any desire to do so? Have you visited other WW2 sites and memorials? Do you think we do a good job of teaching current and younger generations about the events of WW2? Do you think it matters? 

I have never been to the memorial, and yes I would love to.  I have visited other WW II memorials.

With all the curriculum changes and the banning of books, we do not do a very good job of teaching about the events of WW II and it definitely matters.  History does repeat itself.

2. Many books, both fiction and non-fiction have been written with WW2 as the setting. Is this a 'genre' you gravitate towards? Share with u10 s a book (or two) you've enjoyed that is set in some way around WW2. If you're not a reader, how about a movie? 

I gravitate toward this genre.  I am teaching the Diary of Anne Frank to my 8th grade students...the play form.  And this generation thinks they could overtake the Nazis and not let this happen to them.  For a project, I gave them a plastic bag and they were to pick  10 items that would fit into the bag and why if this was all they could bring with them they explain why they chose the 10 items. Tomorrow the students will present this project.

My favorite books for this genre that I have read are:  Night, All the Light We Cannot See, Unbroken, The Book Thief,  Then There was One, The Hiding Place.  

3. According to Better Homes and Gardens Magazine there are seven popular color trends for the holidays this year. They are- red and white, Victorian blue, pops of pink, rich shades of green, rainbow hues, black and white, and nostalgic retro colors. Are you 'trendy' when it comes to holiday decorating in 2022? How so? Does your tree have a 'theme'? 

Definitely not trendy in decorating in 2022.  I think I will call my tree  My Grandsons' Tree because they have decorated the tree and made home made ornaments to hang on the tree.

4. What's a current trend you buck? 

When someone says, "Happy Holidays," I respond "Merry Christmas."  I will not say Happy Holidays.

5. What's your favorite chocolate something? 

Weird ,but I prefer some type of chocolate candy bar mixed with nuts or coconut.  I am not a fan of chocolate cake (too chocolate) or brownies.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

After today there is 7 days left before our Christmas break and I am ready.

It seems like the Christmas Season is full of busyness and sometimes I know I get agitated with all the things that there is to do...but this isn't how it should be.



Have a great rest of the week and Enjoy Life!

4 comments:

  1. Those boys are so cute! The expressions on their faces in the tinsel picture are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed my visit here. I also say Merry Christmas. The plastic bag is a good visual for your students! Your grands are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grandsons are so cute and helpful, too. Your project for your students sounds fascinating. I hope that they learn a lot from it. So many things today make my head spin—I never thought it was possible for such things to happen. At this point, I believe that anything could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the book Night too. We read it when I was in the 7th grade and it has always stayed with me. I like your project idea. Makes me think too. Hope you have a wonderful restful Christmas break.

    ReplyDelete

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. What kind of thinker are you-doer concrete thinking) analyst (analytical and abstract thinking), orator (logical thinking) inventor (imag...