Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge









1. The popular saying, 'All is fair in love and war' is originally credited to English writer John Lyly. Is he right?

Not in my opinion.  No one should be deceitful just to  get what one wants. 
Fair--is not everyone have the same
Fair--is everyone having what they work for

2. Are you a cereal eater? What's your favorite kind?

Special K-berry flavor.  As a matter of fact, this was my dinner last night after going to Zumba.


3. A five year old in Pennsylvania was recently given a ten day school suspension for talking with a friend about shooting one another with a Hello Kitty Bubble gun (the gun blows bubbles). She did not have the gun with her at school.

A psychological evaluation was also ordered and the incident was recorded on her permanent record. The suspension was later reduced to two days and her parents are suing to have the incident removed from her file. Your thoughts? (If you missed the story click here for details).

My first reaction-how was this incident reported-who heard the whole conversation?  I completely understand a school must follow policy with all that has happened recently in schools.
Parents need to talk with their children (no matter the age of the child) and explain the seriousness of any statements related to violence. 

Some may think this was taken too seriously-a five year old being punished-but when do we not take incidents seriously?   Do we need to have a 'one size fits all' policy? or just take each incident separately? 

Many five-year old do have an imagination and are just playing but how can one be so certain?  I would be highly upset if the child was questioned/interrogated without a parent there.

4. Whatever happened to_____________________________?

Good- ole- clean television shows!  Every television show (local channels) seems to be related to sex or have curse words in them.  Remember the good shows--I Love Lucy- heck they were really married and they still slept in separate beds and Lucy's P.J's were not one bit seductive.

5. January 23rd is National Handwriting Day, billed as a day to reacquaint yourself with a pen and pencil. Do you like your handwriting? Do you prefer to print or write in cursive? This date was chosen because its the birth date of John Hancock. What's the last thing you signed your name to?

In my state, we no longer teach cursive handwriting as we did many years ago.  Students are not required to write in cursive which I think is very sad.  I remember loving to write in cursive and practicing my fancy signature.  All is written on computers, and I cringe to write this because students are also allowed to use spell check.  I use spell check but that is after learning to spell some everyday words!
 My last signature was on a check.


6. Speaking of John Hancock...ever been to Philadelphia? Do you have any desire to visit the city of Brotherly Love?
Have never been to Philadelphia-really no desire to go.

7. Share something funny you've heard a child say.
Teaching 3 & 4 year olds on Sunday mornings can be a real eye opener.  I was teaching a lesson and said to the children -let's yell -before I could finish the sentence the children began yelling-piercing screams. Oh My!!  

8. Insert your own random thought here

Why do I keep hitting the publish button instead of the save button?  and I don't know how to fix the problem once I hit the wrong button!

6 comments:

  1. Clean television shows!!.......yes indeedy! Why even the commercials these days are geared toward sexual innuendos. Why, this is gonna age me again, but I remember how 'scandalous' it was to have a married couple on tv [Like the Dick Van Dyke show] with the couple in the SAME bed.

    I so agree with you. As I do with your powerful statement on the 'child/gun' instance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is indeed becoming a lost art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...bring family-oriented shows back where we can all enjoy watching together without the need to cover our eyes and ears. I really miss "The Carol Burnett Show"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved "I Love Lucy" and even now my husband will say to me that "I am in trouble" like Ricky used to say to Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hit publish by mistake pretty regularly. One thing that helps me is as soon as I get ready to type a post I set the time and date I want it to publish. Even if I'm not sure I set it out a few days so I don't accidentally publish while typing.

    If I accidentally publish I will copy and paste it into a new post and delete the one that mistakenly published. It still shows up as a new post in a reader, but will say that post is not available when you go to read it. I hope this makes sense.

    Kinda sad to think kids don't learn cursive....even with electronics we have to sign our names on keypads. I have to say too, there is something about the discipline of learning to write neatly and correctly that carries over into other areas of our brain, or it seems to anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss the good shows from the past! I cannot imagine a child not knowing how to write cursive. How do you get through life without it....do you just print? When I start a post I go in and set the date first and sometimes I will set it a few days ahead just in case I hit publish by accident. When I'm ready I will set the current date and time.

    ReplyDelete

Wednesday Hodgepodge

  1.What do you love about your life right now?  I thank God everyday for giving me a new day.  I love spending time with my grandsons; ther...